All puppies need enough nutrients to fuel their speedy growth. Keeping your pup healthy and fit requires a little bit of effort in having proper nutrition.
Choosing the right food for your puppy it's not an easy task. Buying dry and wet puppy food from markets it's easier than making homemade recipes. Though, many people go for homemade food recipes because are cheaper and safer.
When you choose to feed your pup with home-prepared food, be sure you talk with your vet first.
It's important that your pup receives the proper balance of:
- Proteins (meat, fish & eggs) for building tissues
- Essential fatty acids (egg yolks) for growth, immune function and reproduction
- Fat (meat & vegetable oil) for healthy skin and hair
- Carbohydrates (rice or vegetables) for energy
How to make homemade food for puppies? Follow the recipes below for homemade puppy food recipes that are vet-approved.
Best Homemade Food Recipes for Puppies (Vet Approved)
#1 Homemade Puppy Recipe: Brown Rice, Mixed Veggies & Turkey
- 2 cups of brown rice
- 1 tablespoon of olive oil
- 2 pounds ground turkey
- 2 shredded carrots
- 1 shredded zucchini
- 2 cups of frozen peas
- 3 cups of chopped baby spinach
HOW TO PREPARE:
- Cook the rice in a large saucepan with 3 cups of water according to package instructions (about 45 minutes)
- Heat the olive oil in a large stockpot (or dutch oven - preferable) over medium heat
- Add the ground turkey and cook it until is browned (about 3-5 minutes). Be sure to crumble the turkey as it cooks.
- Stir in the carrots, zucchini, peas, baby spinach, and brown rice until the spinach has wilted and the mixture is heated (about 3-5 minutes).
- Let it cool
After you've cooked it, you can divide it into single servings. Note the date, and freeze them. The next time you want to feed your pup, you can defrost it in the fridge overnight.
#2 Homemade Puppy Recipe: Chicken, Sweet Vegetables & Brown Rice
- 1 pound of ground chicken breast
- 2 large sweet potatoes
- 1 large carrot
- ½ cup brown rice
HOW TO PREPARE:
- Peel and chop the sweet potatoes and carrots, then cook the brown rice and set aside.
- Preheat a pan to medium-high heat and add a small amount of oil, then add the ground chicken (cook for about 5 min.)
- Add the sweet potato pieces and enough water to cover all the potatoes in a pot. (for about 15-20 min. at medium heat).
- Remove the sweet potatoes and mash them until you get the desired consistency.
- Re-oil the pan and set it to medium heat. Add the chicken and the sweet potatoes, stirring to combine. Then add the sliced carrot.
- Cover the pan, reduce heat to medium-low and continue cooking for about 10-15 minutes until the carrots have softened.
- Let the food cool fully before serving your pup.
This is one of the delicious, full of nutrients, and cheap dog food recipes with chicken that you can cook for your pup every time.
#3 Homemade Puppy Recipe: Beef, Rice & Veggies (10 minutes prepare)
- 2 ½ pounds of ground beef
- 1 ½ cups of brown rice
- 1 drained and rinsed can of kidney beans,
- 1 ½ cups of diced carrots
- ½ cup of frozen peas
- 4 cups of water
HOW TO PREPARE:
- Stir in all ingredients with 4 cups of water at a slow heat
- Cover the pan and cook on low heat for about 5-6 hours or high heat for 2-3 hours
- Stir as needed
- Cool to room temperature
These three delicious and high-protein dog food recipes are vet-approved and a good meal for your pup. Hope I've inspired you on how to make homemade dog food for puppies.
You can also see some of the best frozen treats for dogs, perfect for summer days in this article.
On the next article! Paws & love! 🐾