5 min read

Dog Ate Tea Bag: Here's What to Do ASAP

dog ate tea bag

Dogs eat a lot of forbidden things we could not even imagine it is impossible to swallow (socks, tennis balls, candles etc.)

If your dog just ate a tea bag, it's crucial to take action as soon as possible. You should take the following actions:

ā“µ Remove the tea bag if you can: You might be able to get rid of the tea bag if it's still within your dog's stomach by making him vomit. However, if your dog is displaying indications of distress or if your veterinarian recommends against it, do not make them vomit.

How to safely induce vomiting šŸ¤®

A dog's stomach can be cleared of a foreign object by inducing vomiting, but this should only be done under a veterinarian's supervision, particularly if the foreign object was harmful or the dog was in pain. Here are some guidelines for safely making dogs vomit:

  1. Contact your vet: It's important to speak with your vet and acquire its advice before causing vomiting. He/She can provide you with guidance on the best course of action and whether it's safe for your dog to induce vomiting.
  2. Use hydrogen peroxide (only after talking to your vet/approved person): Using hydrogen peroxide as a vomiting inducer on dogs is one of the most used techniques. The dosage is one teaspoon for every five pounds of body weight. It can be given orally without an injection using a turkey baster or syringe.
  3. Wait: Wait 15 to 20 minutes after giving the hydrogen peroxide. Do not give the medication again if your dog has not vomited within 20 minutes since it can be harmful rather than helpful.
  4. Monitor your dog: Make sure your dog is not displaying any signs of discomfort or suffering by keeping an eye on it.

šŸ”“ It's crucial to remember that forcing vomiting should only be carried out in specified circumstances and under a veterinarian's supervision. If you believe your dog has consumed something poisonous, it's crucial to call your veterinarian right once. Not all foreign things should be vomited up because some might cause more harm while leaving the body.

ā“¶ Verify the ingredients: Some tea bags include substances like caffeine or chocolate that might be harmful to dogs. You should seek emergency veterinarian attention if your dog eats a tea bag containing these chemicals.

ā“· Keep an eye on your dog's symptoms: Monitor any symptoms of illness or discomfort, such as lethargy, vomiting, or diarrhea.

ā“ø Contact your vet: It is important to ask your veterinarian for guidance if you have questions regarding the tea bag's components or if your dog is exhibiting symptoms of an illness.

ā“¹ Avoid future incidents: To stop your dog from consuming tea bags or other potential hazards in the future, make sure to keep them out of their reach.

Dogs can be curious and may eat things they shouldn't, so it's vital to always keep an eye on them and take action right away if they consume anything that could be hazardous.

What happens if a dog eats tea bags?


Depending on the kind of tea and how much is ingested, different outcomes are possible when a dog eats a tea bag. Here are a few possible scenarios:

ā†¦ Caffeine: Some tea bags contain caffeine, which can be poisonous to dogs and result in symptoms, including agitation, rapid breathing, trembling muscles, and irregular heartbeat.

ā†¦ Tannins: Certain tea bags contain Tannins, which can upset your dog's stomach and make it throw up and have diarrhea.

ā†¦ Theobromine: Some tea bags contain cocoa, which is rich in theobromine, a chemical that is harmful to dogs and is similar to caffeine.

ā†¦ Digestive issues: Tea bags may upset a dog's stomach, which could result in vomiting, diarrhea, or even an obstruction in the intestines.

ā†¦ Allergic reactions: Some tea constituents might make some dogs allergic, which could result in rashes, respiratory problems, or scratching.

šŸ“ Note: The most vital point to do after your dog consumes a tea bag is to call your vet right away and let them know what kind of tea, how much was drank, and any symptoms you have observed. It can provide you with advice on the best approach to take and whether it's safe for your dog to induce vomiting.

Dog ate tea bag with string: What to do

To avoid any potential danger, act right away if your dog ate a tea bag with string. Here's what you can do:

  1. Call your vet: It's essential to contact your vet asap and inform it about the tea bag with string that your dog just ate. Your vet will be able to advise you on what to do further and whether inducing vomiting is safe for your pup.
  2. Monitor your dog: Try to observe any signs of discomfort or distress such as vomiting, diarrhea, or lethargy. If your dog is showing signs of distress, do not induce vomiting.
  3. Remove the tea bag if you can: You might be able to get rid of the tea bag if it's still inside your dog's stomach and your vet has given the 'go-ahead' by producing vomiting. If your dog is in pain or if your veterinarian recommends against it, do not make your dog vomit.
  4. Be aware of the string: The string that comes with the tea bag might result in intestinal obstructions and can be harmful if left in place. In case the string does not travel through the intestines, your vet may need to perform surgery to remove it.
It's crucial to keep in mind that even tiny foreign objects, like strings, can result in major health issues if consumed. If you believe your dog may have ingested something toxic, go to the vet or call it as soon as you can.

What happens if a dog eats a used tea bag? šŸµ

A used tea bag might upset the dog's stomach and result in vomiting, diarrhea, and stomach cramps. If the tea bag has theobromine or caffeine, it might also be poisonous. Used tea bags may also contain bacteria that might cause infection.

How much tea is toxic to dogs?

Depending on the type of tea and the size of the dog, different amounts of tea can be hazardous to dogs. Caffeine and theobromine, which are included in some tea bags and tea leaves, can affect dogs in even trace levels. The following are some general principles:

  • Caffeine: A regular cup of coffee has 5 grams of caffeine can be fatal for a dog.
  • Theobromine: even 20ā€“40 mg/kg can make dogs exhibit hazardous. symptoms.
  • Tannins: for some dogs, as little as 3 to 5 cups of tea can upset their stomachs.

It's essential to remember that these are only general recommendations, and the dangerous dose can change depending on the tea's composition and the dog's size. Furthermore, certain canines might be more sensitive than others to specific components in tea. Contact your veterinarian right away and let it know what kind and how much tea your dog may have taken if you suspect it has ingested tea or a tea bag. The vet will be able to provide you advice on what to do next.


In essence, excessive consumption of tea bags can be detrimental to dogs. The three primary components of tea that can be hazardous to dogs are caffeine, theobromine, and tannins. As few as three to five cups of tea can upset their stomach, and even trace levels of caffeine and theobromine can be dangerous to dogs. To avoid your dog eating tea bags or other potential risks, it's crucial to keep them out of their reach.

Contact your veterinarian right away and let them know what kind and how much tea your dog may have taken if you suspect he or she has ingested tea or a tea bag.

What Human Foods are Healthy for Dogs to Eat?

Find out what kind of food is safe for your dog to consume & what aliments are not recommended.

Go me to the app