Dog Ate a Tennis Ball: What Should You Do ASAP

Dog Ate a Tennis Ball: What Should You Do ASAP

Dogs eat in general a lot of things that shouldn't and things that we can even imagine. For example, tea bags, socks, candle, tree oil, towel etc.

If your dog ate a tennis ball, it's imperative to act right away to avoid any potential risk. Going to the veterinarian right away is the first thing you should do if you see that your dog is in discomfort or throwing up.

If your dog is just feeling well for the moment, here is some advice for precaution:

📞 Contact your vet: It's important to call your vet as soon as you observe your dog has eaten the tennis ball and inform it how it happened. Thus, he/she could advise you what is best to do next (come to the hospital/clinic, induce vomiting at home, other precaution methods).

👀 Keep an eye on your dog: Be alert for any indications of pain or distress, including lethargy, vomiting, or diarrhea. Do not provoke vomiting in your dog if it is displaying signs of distress.

🤢 Try to remove the tennis ball (induce vomiting): If the tennis ball is still inside your dog's stomach and your vet has told you it's ok, you might be able to get it out by making your dog puke. However, if your dog is displaying indications of distress or if your veterinarian recommends against it, do not make them vomit.

How to safely induce vomiting 🤮

  1. Keep in touch with your vet: Speak with your vet and acquire its advice before causing vomiting. Your vet can provide you guidance on the best course of action and whether it's safe for your dog to induce vomiting.
  2. Use hydrogen peroxide (only after talking to your vet/approved person): One of the most popular methods is to induce vomiting in dogs using hydrogen peroxide. Every five pounds of body weight requires a teaspoon of the medication. Using a turkey baster or syringe, it can be administered orally rather than intravenously.
  3. Wait: Wait 15 to 20 minutes after giving the hydrogen peroxide. Don't give the medication if your dog has not vomited within 20 minutes since it can be harmful rather than helpful.
  4. Monitor your dog: Keep an eye on your dog to make sure it's not expressing any symptoms of pain or suffering.

🔴 It's important to keep in mind that forced vomiting should only be done in certain situations and under a veterinarian's guidance. Call your veterinarian as soon as possible if you think your dog has ingested something harmful. Some foreign objects shouldn't be vomited up because they can end up hurting the body more after they leave.

🎾 Be aware of the tennis ball's size: If the tennis ball is too big, it might not fit through the intestinal tract and removal may require surgery.

🙅 Prevent future incidents: To avoid your dog eating tennis balls or other similar risks in the future, make sure to keep them out of your dog's reach.

It's crucial to keep in mind that even tiny foreign things, like tennis balls, can result in major health issues if swallowed. If you believe your dog may have ingested something toxic, call your veterinarian right once.

What if my dog swallowed part of a tennis ball?

If your dog has swallowed part of a tennis ball, it's important to act quickly to avoid any potential danger. But, panicking is not recommended. The steps you should take are the same as the ones above, but the first thing to to is to immediately call your vet, or even better go to the clinic for examination.

It can be dangerous if a dog ingests part of a tennis ball. The hard rubber material of the tennis ball can cause damage to the dog's digestive tract and can lead to several potential problems such as obstruction, stomach upset (vomiting, diharrea, cramps, blockage in the intestinal tract), chocking, tearing of the intestinal tract, or even bowel damage.

Note that depending on the size of the tennis ball, it may be a serious emergency and necessitate surgical action. The size, type, and any symptoms you have observed should be shared with your vet along with any evidence that your dog has consumed parts of a tennis ball. The vet will be able to help you take the best course of action and give the required care.

How long does it take for a dog to pass a ball?

The size of the ball, the dog's size, and the placement of the ball in the dog's digestive tract are all factors that affect how long it takes a dog to pass a ball.

It usually takes between 24 and 48 hours for the ball to leave the dog's system if it is small enough to travel through the intestinal tract. If the ball is too big to fit through the intestinal tract, it may restrict the passageway, which could be dangerous its health. Depending on how severe the obstruction is in this instance, the dog may need surgery to remove the ball, and the recovery period will change.

What happens if a dog eats a tennis ball?

what happens if a dog ate a tennis ball

If a dog eats a tennis ball, it can cause several potential problems. Once ingested, the tennis ball will be too large to pass, which could result in an obstruction and other major health issues. Some dogs can swallow tennis balls entire, others just part of it.

Summing up, if your dog ate a ball neither the whole of it or just a part it is crucial to take action by calling your vet or going to the nearest clinic.

Additionally, it's critical that you remain calm and take swift action during this entire period because your dog may detect your anxiety and get more agitated.