Can Dogs Eat Marshmallows? [Treats or Poison]
"Can my dog eat marshmallows?" - This is a question that you may already know the answer to, but let's go a little deeper.
Can you spot the wrong word from the definition?
Yep, the wrong word is SUGAR - an aliment that is forbidden to dogs. Sugar can have the same effect on dogs as it does on humans. It can cause your dog to gain weight and have dental problems. It can potentially result in diabetes, too.
Aside from sugar, marshmallows contain other substances that, when combined, are hazardous to your dog.
Therefore, the answer is NO, dogs should not eat marshmallows because they are harmful.
Are marshmallows bad for dogs?
How many marshmallows can a dog have?
Can dogs eat 1 marshmallow?
Now you will think: "Ok, ok, dogs can't eat marshmallows. But what about one? Can my dog taste just one marshmallow?"
99% of marshmallows are toxic to dogs and can cause severe organ damage. Dogs aren't supposed to eat anything high in sugar, including marshmallows - especially if they're chocolate-covered.
If your dog eats just one marshmallow, it should be alright, but keep an eye on it and be prepared for any problem that may result (most likely vomiting).
Are Jet Puffed marshmallows safe for dogs?
Nope, any kind of commercial marshmallows are forbidden for dogs and all kind of pets in general to consume.
Why are marshmallows bad for dogs?
As mentioned above, the marshmallow ingredients include sugar, water, and gelatin. Because of the sugar from it, vets recommend that dogs should avoid eating marshmallows because dogs can be extremely sensitive to sugar.
Sugar is bad for dogs' teeth and can contribute to diabetes and obesity.
In addition, marshmallows frequently include the sweetener xylitol, which is highly harmful to dogs.
xylitol = sugar-free sweetener added to some foods
In dogs, even little amounts of xylitol can cause hypoglycemia, liver failure, seizures, and even death. This substance is considerably more hazardous to dogs than theobromine, a substance found in chocolate.
Some of the side effects of xylitol intake:
What should I do if my dog ate marshmallows?
If you know your dog ate xylitol-containing marshmallows, even if it was only one, contact your veterinarian right away.
Depending on how many marshmallows your dog ate and how long it has been since he last ate some, your veterinarian may ask you to bring him in to induce vomiting.
If your dog ate sugar marshmallows, you should still check in with your vet about your dog’s well-being. If your dog got one mini sugar marshmallow off the ground that fell while you are baking, they should be okay. But if they ate anything more than that, then you should call your vet.
Make sure you keep all human treats, especially sugary ones like marshmallows, up and away from your dog. If you tend to drop food, avoid marshmallows and any other food with xylitol when your dog is near.
Even if your dog ate sugary marshmallows, you should still consult with your veterinarian regarding its health. If your dog ate one little sugar marshmallow that dropped to the ground, it should be fine. However, if they ate more than that, you should contact your vet.
To summarize, marshmallows can be hazardous to your dog, especially if they contain xylitol, therefore avoid giving it such treats.
Instead of giving your dog marshmallows, what do you say about DIY treats recipe that your dog will absolutely love?
Paws & love until the next article! 🐾